Quick and painless is all that I seem to have time for in the kitchen, and this recipe for Jambalaya is on my list for making a couple a times a week when I am busy. Keep reading the a list of ingredients and directions.
Preparation2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs $
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 2-inch slices $
- 1 large onion, chopped $
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped $
- 3 stalks celery, chopped $
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice $
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped $
- 2 cups chicken broth $
- 1 tablespoon Cajun or Creole spice mix
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound extralarge shrimp, peeled and deveined $
- 1 3/4 cups long-grain rice $
- Parsley, optional
- Combine chicken, sausage, onion, green pepper, celery, tomatoes, garlic, chicken broth, spice mix, thyme and oregano in a large (5-quart) slow cooker. Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Add shrimp and rice; raise heat to high and cook for 30 minutes more. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.